- edible alive and raw.
- dig for clams at low tide in sandy areas.
- live clams should be used within 2-3 days from collection.
- do not store clams in water or airtight container, they can suffocate and die.
- if clam opens during storage, tap it. If it does not close, it's dead and should not be eaten.
- to cook, boil or steam for 3-5 minutes after shells have opened. Do not eat any clams that failed to open
- warning: may be be toxic (paralytic shelfish poisoning) if area is affected by a toxic algal bloom. Blooms cannot be detected by observation, check the current status of your area with government fishery. One clam (cooked or raw) could be fatal in as little as 2 hours, alcohol consumption accelerates the effects. Induce vomiting and seek immediate medical attention if the following symptoms occur within 2 hours of eating: nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, tingling or burning lips, tongue, face, and impairment of breathing/moving.