- edible alive and raw.
- live oysters should be used within 7-10 days from collection.
- do not store oysters in water or airtight container, they can suffocate and die.
- to cook, boil or steam for 3-5 minutes after shells have opened. Do not eat any oysters that failed to open
- look for oysters at low tide, attached to rocks or washed ashore.
- warning: may be be toxic (paralytic shelfish poisoning) if area is affected by a toxic algal bloom. Blooms cannot be detected by observation, check the current status of your area with government fishery. One oyster (cooked or raw) could be fatal in as little as 2 hours, alcohol consumption accelerates the effects. Induce vomiting and seek immediate medical attention if the following symptoms occur within 2 hours of eating: nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, tingling or burning lips, tongue, face, and impairment of breathing/moving.